New Texas Instruments’s OMAP-DM5x Coprocessors To Bring 20 Mpx Photos & 720p HD Video to Mobile devices
Wednesday, 07 October 2009 10:34
Written by Apocalypso.
Further addressing consumer expectations for mobile phones that deliver performance equivalent to stand-alone consumer devices, Texas Instruments Incorporated today announced two new members of its OMAP-DM5x family of coprocessors, which deliver the industry's highest megapixel capability, with up to 20 MP still imaging capabilities, as well as 720p high-definition camcorder functionality.
The OMAP-DM515 and OMAP-DM525 coprocessors accelerate imaging and video performance, giving handset manufacturers an easy way to upgrade existing handset designs to get to market quickly with cutting-edge multimedia capabilities.
The OMAP-DM5x family of coprocessors comes with a complete software package, delivered by TI, enabling quick and efficient development of new or existing mobile handset designs.
OMAP-DM5x coprocessors feature a high-performance ARM9 microprocessor as well as TI's advanced image signal processor (ISP) technology and dedicated video coprocessor to deliver industry-leading, 20-megapixel still camera imaging as well as 720p H.264 camcorder functions. A variety of memory and features sets are available to meet the needs of every mobile handset.
Key features and benefits of the OMAP-DM5x coprocessor family:
- Digital SLR-"like" imaging:
- Industry's highest MP support, with up to 20 MP capabilities and high-quality 720p HD video capture
- 8MP shot-to-shot performance, with 1.4 frames per second in high-quality mode and 2 frames per second in burst mode
- Integrated software that delivers stand-alone consumer electronics quality imaging and video:
- Perfect moment technology: Captures a series of shots, allowing users to select the best image in a series
- Smart lighting: Compensates for backlit and low-light environments
- Face tracking: Identifies, recognizes and focuses on faces
- Auto scene detector: Determines appropriate settings based on environment
- Video noise filter: Improves video quality
- Advanced motion-triggered image stability
- TV-out capabilities enable content sharing on larger screens
- Pin compatibility between all devices allows for easy design upgrades to match changing consumer demands
- Eliminates need for external memory
- Works with a variety of mobile baseband and application processor solutions, as well as any high-level or real-time operating system.
The OMAP-DM515 coprocessor is available today. The OMAP-DM525 coprocessor is sampling today, with production expected in 2010. These products are intended for high-volume wireless OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 25 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.