Final version of Firefox With YouTube Enabler Available For Download!!
Saturday, 30 January 2010 12:04
Written by Apocalypso.
Finally, the D-Day has arrived. After having the third release candidate available for download only for two days, the new and final version of Mozilla’s Firefox browser which was launched in its first release candidate on 31 Dec 2009 is now available for Nokia’s Maemo platform.
Starting today, Nokia N900 owners can enjoy many of the same Firefox features they know and love on the desktop on their mobile device.
Bringing Firefox to mobile devices is the next step toward fulfilling Mozilla’s mission of providing one Web that everyone can access, regardless of device or location. Secure, powerful, and customizable, Firefox is the most modern mobile Web browser available and is optimized for a mobile experience.
Key design principles are at the heart of the mobile browsing experience including minimal typing, seamless synchronization with desktop Firefox and the ability to take your Firefox with you, to name a few.
If you’ve already got beta 5 installed on your Nokia N900 or N810, you will be receiving a software update shortly. Otherwise, if you’re viewing this on your device, you can get it for a test drive from here or you can visit Firefox.com/mobile to learn more and download it as well.
Firefox for mobile is packed with your favorite features, including:
- Awesome Bar – Go to your favorite sites in just a couple of keystrokes with intelligent and personalized searching
- Weave Sync – Sync your Firefox tabs, history, bookmarks and passwords between your desktop and mobile device for a seamless browsing experience
- Add-ons – Customize your Firefox by adding small pieces of functionality, like games and news readers, that help make the mobile Web browser your own
- Location-Aware Browsing – Get maps and information relevant to your location
- Tabbed browsing – View open tabs as thumbnails to easily identify and select the Web page you’d like to go to next
- Safe Browsing – Get an Instant Web Site ID and easily access and edit security settings
- Available in more than 30 languages and counting
Firefox is the first mobile Web browser to support add-ons. With add-ons, you can customize your Firefox by adding features that help make your browser your own. Add-ons like AdBlock Plus, URL Fixer, TwitterBar, language translators, and geo guides become especially handy when you’re out and about on your mobile device. You can both discover and install add-ons directly from your Nokia N900. There are currently more than 40 Firefox add-ons available for mobile and the number is growing every day.
We strongly recommend that you install the YouTube Enabler add-on from within the Add-ons Manager. Tap on the install button, restart Firefox, and you’re all set to watch YouTube videos.
Firefox is currently supported on Nokia’s Maemo5 platform and is available for download on the Nokia N900. Users can download and learn more by visiting Firefox.com/mobile. Visit the FAQ for more information.
This is an exciting entrance into the mobile ecosystem and Firefox for Maemo5 is just the beginning – look out for lots more to come from Firefox for mobile this year.
Firefox for Mobile 1.0 is built on the same browser engine as Firefox 3.6 for the desktop, the new mobile Firefox comes packed full of your favorite features like the Awesome Bar, Add-ons, Weave Sync and Location-Aware Browsing.
You'll see many of your favorite features for the desktop Firefox, now optimized for an exceptional mobile experience:
Easy Navigation to Web Content
- Awesome Bar: The Smart Location Bar, or "Awesome Bar" is even more awesome on a mobile device. The Awesome Bar gets you to your Web destination with minimal typing, by intelligently searching the names, URLs and tags of the sites you visit, and takes into account how often and recently you visit them. With Weave Sync, the Awesome Bar will also search the Web history from Firefox on your PC
- Easy access to many search engines: Type your search term right in the Awesome Bar to search Google. Or send your search to another search engine (Wikipedia, Amazon.com, Twitter) with one touch. Customize with the search engines of your choice.
Touch Interface Optimization
- Touch-oriented UI: Firefox's touch-enabled interface allows you to swipe left to view your controls (bookmark, go backward and forward, access your browser tools, like Add-ons, preferences and downloads) and swipe right to view your open tabs
- View without obstructions: The browser controls and Awesome Bar get stowed away when you reach your website so you can use the whole screen to view the site. Start to pan up or to the sides and your controls and Awesome Bar reappear
- Quick zoom: Double tap on the screen to zoom in, double tap to zoom back out
- One-touch bookmarking: Bookmark a Web site in one touch, along with the ability to tag it with a memorable term
- Tabbed browsing: Thumbnails of your open tabs easily identify your open pages.
- Weave Sync: Create a Weave Sync account on your PC and install the Weave Sync add-on on your mobile to synchronize your Firefox tabs, passwords, history and bookmarks between your PC and mobile
- Less typing: Access Firefox for mobile’s Awesome Bar and visit any site you’ve ever been to, regardless of which computer you visited it on, with just a couple keystrokes
- Don't start from scratch: Weave Sync brings along your saved passwords from your desktop, removing barriers to your favorite sites
- Get up and go: Take your Firefox with you wherever you go. Surf the Web on your PC, get up and go, and have everything waiting for you on your phone -- even your open tabs.
A Personalized Experience
- Add-ons: Firefox is the first mobile Web browser to support add-ons. You can discover and install useful extensions for your browser directly from your mobile device
- Location-Aware Browsing: Be a local wherever you are. Get maps and info relevant to your location. Its all optional– Firefox doesn’t share your location without your permission– and is done with the utmost respect for your privacy.
- Instant Web site ID ("Larry"): Tap on a site favicon for an instant identity overview
- Password manager: Typing passwords on your phone is hard, so why do it more than you have to? Choose to remember site passwords and forget ever having to endure long and difficult typing
- Popup blocker: Banish pop-ups from your surfing experience once and for all
- Clear private data: As an extra security measure, you can clear all your private data via your Preferences
- Customized security settings: Customize settings for passwords, cookies, loading images and installing add-ons for a fully empowered mobile browsing experience
- Automated Update: Install upgrades directly to your device when you receive an automatic notification, or wait until you’re ready.
- Preferences pane: Go to your Preferences in one touch. From here, manage your plugins and security settings, as well as access your Downloads Manager and Add-ons Manager
- Download manager: Download files seamlessly and securely. The manager shows your download progress and lets you search your files by name or the Web address where the download came from
- Spell checker: Catch typos and misspellings in form fields.
If viewing on your N900 or N810, install from here. In addition to Maemo build, you can also download desktop builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux.