Firefox For Maemo BETA 5 Improves User Experience And Performances
Tuesday, 10 November 2009 06:10
Written by Apocalypso.
Couple of months ago, Mozilla, the nonprofit organization behind Firefox, has rolled out first beta version of Fennec, the long awaited mobile version of the Firefox and now I'm glad to inform you that they have released a fifth beta for Nokia’s Maemo based devices last night which bringing them one step closer to the final release.
The initial focus of Fennec development was on building a new user experience that reflects Firefox's design principles, adding touch screen support and other interactions appropriate for mobile phones and other handheld devices, while preserving leading features like the Smart URL Bar ("awesome bar") and support for add-ons.
Feirefox beta 5 further improves user experience, brings numerous performance, speed, functionality and UI improvements. This release is available for the Maemo OS2008 and Maemo 5 software platforms running on the Nokia N810 and N900 Internet Tablets.
This release brings noticeable improvements to the user experience and UI of the browser. Specifically you’ll see:
- Firefox official branding, with Firefox name and logo
- Support for multiple locales, currently including Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, and Russian
- Flash sites such as YouTube now work
- The viewport meta tag is now supported by Firefox on mobile sites using it
- New form assistant to make filling in forms easier
- Improved panning and zooming performance and behavior
- Numerous other bugs and polish issues addressed.
If viewing on your N900 or N810, install from here. In addition to Maemo build, you can also download desktop builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux.